Golden Milk is an ancient drink originally from India, mainly made with turmeric and milk, and also known as Ayurveda Milk. Turmeric is a little root similar to ginger which has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, antifungal and antimicrobial properties, making Golden Milk a very healthy drink. It supports healthy cholesterol levels, prevents and treats inflammation, stabilizes blood sugar levels, among many other benefits.
Step 1: Golden Paste
To prepare a Golden Milk, you will first have to make a Golden Paste, which you can keep in a glass container in the fridge, ready to use.
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
What to do:
- In a stainless steel pot, cook the water, turmeric, and black pepper until it forms a thick paste, stirring and cooking for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Transfer the Golden Paste into a glass jar with a lid, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Step 2: Golden Milk
What you’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon Golden Paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Honey to taste
- Pinch cinnamon to taste
- In a stainless steel pot, gently heat, but do not boil, the milk with the golden paste. A whisk is helpful to fully mix the paste into the milk.
- Pour in a mug and add honey, cinnamon, and coconut oil and enjoy
The honey, cinnamon, black pepper and coconut oil are not optional. The honey is there because of it antibacterial and antifungal properties, as well as for the taste. As for the cinnamon, it is a natural antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Black Pepper is also known to have natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. But most importantly, it enhances bioavailability, meaning it helps in transporting the benefits of curcumin to different parts of the body, maximizing the efficiency of absorption. Last but not least, turmeric should be mixed with fat for our body to better absorb it, thus the coconut oil.
Drink a Golden Milk when you’re fighting a cold, a virus or an inflammation. Or better yet, drink it on a regular basis and you will undoubtedly notice many health benefits. Besides, it really tastes wonderful!