Next time you want to treat a cough, wether dry or not dry, I recommend that you try this natural homemade syrup. It has been used for centuries and it is the typical grandmother remedy. It’s also very easy and quick to prepare. The combination of natural ingredients in this cough syrup work wonders! Honey softens the throat by calming irritations, reduces the cough symptoms, gets rid of germs, and reinforces your immune system. As for the onion, it is a natural expectorant, it eliminates bacteria and cleans the respiratory tract.
What you’ll need:
- 1 onion
- 2 cups of water (400 ml)
- freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (15 g)
- a container to store your syrup
What to do:
- Peal and cut the onion in big pieces.
- Place the onion and the water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it boil on medium to high heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and the lemon juice.
- Pour your syrup in a container and close it tightly.
- Take 1 tablespoon 2 to 3 times per day.
This is a very easy cheap and natural way to treat your cough. It will not suppress your cough as it is an expectorant, but that is what you want: you want to get rid of the mucus and for that you need to cough it out. I use it on my kids whenever they have a cough and am always happy with the results. Give it a few days to work, as with every natural remedy. It works slowly but surely and in-depth. As it does not contain any conserving agents, you can only keep this syrup for up to 4 days. Should the cough still bother you, just prepare another batch!