I used to be a big fan of Vicks Vapor Rub and used it frequently when I had a cold. Yes, VapoRub helps you breath and sleep better when you’re sick with a cold. Unfortunately, petrolatum is one of the inactive ingredients in it, which you should know by now is an endocrine disruptor. So really, if you want to live healthy and get to meet your grandchildren, ditch the Vapor Rub! Instead, easily replace it with only two ingredients and still benefit from all its positive effects, such as nasal decongestion and cough suppression.
What you’ll need:
- coconut oil (or any other carrier oil you like)
- eucalyptus essential oil
- peppermint essential oil (optional, recommended in case of fever)
What to do:
- Prepare the body area where you will rub the mixture (recommended areas are chest, upper back and the soles of your feet)
- Grab a nut size amount of coconut oil and place it the palm of your hand.
- Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- You may also want to add 1-2 drops of peppermint oil as well (optional)
- Rub your hands together to melt the oil and warm your hands
- Apply to desired body area.
Eucalyptus essential oil has potent properties, which include being an anti-inflammatory, decongestant, and antiseptic among many others . The potent medicinal benefits of eucalyptus oil are due to a compound called eucalyptol, which has antimicrobial properties. So rubbing your chest, back and feet soles with this essential oil mixed with a carrier oil, will help your body fight a cold or a virus. You can also use it on your kids, I most certainly do, but only aged 2 or older, meaning same usage restrictions as with the Vapor Rub.
I also recommend putting a few drops of the eucalyptus essential oil in a bowl full of boiling water and placing the bowl safely near your bedside, as it will help you breath during the night. Also, to really fight that nasal congestion and cough, I vouch for inhalations with eucalyptus essential oil several times per day: pour a cup of boiling water into a bowl and add 1–2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to it. Then place a towel over your head and inhale the scent deeply for 5 to 10 minutes.