Dreaming of straight shiny hair without having to put chemicals in your hair and spending a fortune at the hair salon? This mask made with coconut milk and olive oil is easy and cheap to prepare, easy to apply, and will leave your hair chemical free yet naturally straight and frizz free.
What you will need:
- Coconut milk (1 cup)
- Lemon juice (4 tablespoons)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Arrowroot powder or cornstarch (3 tablespoons)
- a glass container with a lid to store your mask
What to do:
- Mix the food thickener (arrowroot or cornstarch) with the lemon juice in a small saucepan until there are no more lumps.
- Add the olive oil and coconut milk, mix and heat the saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir continuously.
- When the consistency is thick like a cake batter, turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Pour the mask in a glass container and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Apply this mask to your hair 1 to 2 per week and leave it on as long as possible, ideally 2 hours. Shampoo as normal and rinse well.
Preparing the mask the first time is the most “difficult” part. It should only take you 10 minutes of your time though. And the quantity prepared should last you for several applications, depending on the length of your hair. As this mask does not contain any conserving agents, my advice is to use it as quickly as possible: it will not last forever and mold will appear on the top after a few months. In that case just throw it away and prepare a new batch.
Although the main purpose of this mask is to straighten the hair, it also nourishes and moisturizes it, leaving your hair naturally shiny, light and healthy. I absolutely love how it leaves my hair straight yet voluminous unlike a flat iron!